Saturday, October 27, 2007

John Barth, The End of the Road

I will read anything, as this book list attests. I really enjoy being lent books from friends, as it gives me a chance to read something I may not otherwise have picked up... Which is the state that "The end of the road" was handed to me.

An unusual book, involving a love triangle between 3 people, narrated by the anti-hero, Jacob Horner. It is not quite an emotional rollercoaster, but a novel that is filled with complex dialogue heading towards an interesting conclusion.

In a nutshell "In the novel Barth deftly explores important themes: the folly of taking philosophies to logical extremes, and the need to accept and embrace paradox as well as be able to combine, or at least try, various and flexible philosophies to survive in the larger world." (thanks wiki)

This book is complex. It's hard to get your head around the characters - there were places I just wanted to shut the book to shut them up. But I persevered, and I'm glad I did.

Being written in the 1950's it's easy to brush away some of the content as simple - but when put in it's place, the content deals with complex emotional issues, dealt with in an almost ludicrous way.

I should really read it again to understand it a little better - as I think I passed over a lot of it with the initial feeling "It's wordy and boring"...

No comments: