Saturday, October 27, 2007

Duncton Quest

I've been fan of the Duncton Moles since I was about 13. Someone bought me the first book for my birthday, and I was totally in love with the world of Duncton Wood, Bracken and Rebecca, Boswell, Scribemoles, Uffington in all SORTS of ways. It's strange, even though I adored this book - I never located the second one (there are 3) until now!

I was so excited to run home and start reading it, and after the first page all the memories of the duncton world cam flooding back.

Similar in style and theme to Watership down, these sentient moles live in a colourful, often dark, almost traumatic world.

A nice easy read, and as I'm such a huge animal fan, unputdownable - I loved this book. It's full if rich image imagery, the battle between good and evil, and almost tries to explain what makes evil the way it is. If you're a fan of any kind of fantasy, or even just a really well written story, this is definitely a book to read.

In fact, I loved it so much I'm considering calling my next pet (I'm thinking a nice chocolate brown labrador or golden retriever) Tryfran.

No comments: