Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Beach, Alex Garland

I had illusions of heading to Cambodia earlier in the year - however these grand dreams were dashed with comments of "ele you would find it pretty difficult over there"... So I decided to armchair travel a bit instead. The first book I picked up is one I've had for a while gathering dust in the parents bookcase - "The Beach"

Classed as one of the defining novels of it's generation - I decided to read with an open mind to what ever imagery of South East Asia the book offered.
The sand, check. Blue Sea, check. Everything else? check. (Not for me I might add)...

The book is about a central character, who seems slightly unsatisfied with life. A chance meeting with a backpacker provides a map to a mysterious destination, with the person who gave the map committing suicide the next morning.

This book reminds me a little of Bret Easton Ellis in some of it's narcissistic tendencies, and some of the themes of the Vietnam war, and even the Super Mario brothers game.

Yes it's full of twists and turns, but it never really engaged with me - even the second time around. I felt that the commune-like lifestyle was a little much, and always felt a there was a strange disconnect between the major and minor characters. Maybe I'm looking for too much, as on face value the book is an ok read.

I should probably check out Alex Garland's other books before completely throwing it to there "wouldn't trade again" pile. As he also wrote "28 days later" and "Sunshine".

Perhaps next time I am looking for South East Asian inspiration I should try "The Quiet American"

No comments: